Monday, October 13, 2008

My adopted animals....Chptr 2

Exciting news....We have internet at home! (despite the winds attempt to destroy our power lines)

So to continue on how we got Lola....

When we decided we wanted another dog we discussed breeds. Since we are both dog lovers, every breed came up. German Shepard: too hairy, Rottweiler: too big, Terrier: to hyper, Lab: too active, Dalmatian: way too active, another Chihuahua: Kodo's Dad put his foot down and said no!

Then we started talking about Boxers. We both had experiences with them and knew they were sweet dogs. Then we googled a little and discovered they were really good with kids. Since we have a lot of kids coming by, we thought one would be perfect. So I started my search to adopt a Boxer (I don't do puppies.)

There is a Boxer rescue in Burbank I contacted. They firmly said "NO". We live in an apartment. So I decided to search our OC Shelter. That IS where I got Kodo. I looked for weeks and no Boxer ever came around. One morning I logged onto their website and their she was. I left for an early lunch and went and visited with her. She was the only Boxer I had seen there in weeks and I had to have her. That day, I came home with a Boxer. We named her Lola...

I brought Lola home the same day I visited with her the first time. We were NOT prepared! We had nothing! They put her in my car with a rope around her neck and I was off. First stop, home...

Kodo and her took all of 1 minute to learn to love each other. I think Kodo immediately showed his dominance, even though he is 40lbs smaller than she is, and that set the tone for their entire relationship. Next stop, the pets store...

I picked up the necessities; collar, leash, bowls, food. (Kodo eats special chihuahua food). Last stop, our vet, Dr. Laura.....

This was the most interesting of all stops. Dr. Laura took a good look and Lola, ran some tests, and then the results...

Lola has what Dr. Laura refers to as a chronic bladder infection. At the time, she knew it was bad, but she didn't know it would take nearly a year and three different type of antibiotics to clear it. She also has ripped out most of the nails from her front paws scratching at the metal gates at the shelter. We had to have them cleaned and each of her paws wrapped for over a month. Imagine trying to walk a dog and not get those wraps wet. We tied grocery bags around her paws to take her out but she figured out how to pull those off real quick.

We knew that the shelter would take her back based on the medical problems she had when I picked her up. Kodos Dad and I made a quick decision, we chose to bring an adopted animal into our life, and we were committed to making sure she was healthy and happy for as long as we could. She is a good girl and one of the sweetest dogs you will ever meet.

Okay, enough about my dogs....I will begin appropriately blogging my new wedding obsessions tomorrow. I have a ton!

No comments: