Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Engagement: A Time to Cherish

Right after Kodo's Dad proposed, we were visiting with some friends that had just been married and the bride gave me one piece of advise. She said, "Enjoy your engagement and don't rush to have the wedding." We took that advise to heart which is why we went to Mexico for a week (which was a great location for our engagement pictures) then took another month to start looking at locations.


Although we don't have a "date" yet for the wedding, I am in the constant state of anxiety that I need to find my dress, and pick my colors and invitations and all that fun (and potentially stressful stuff) right away. I am a firm believer that if you start planning early you can save money in more places than you thought possible, and let's face it, we need to save money in as many places as possible.


I am already surrounded by bridal magazines, planners, Tivo'ing Platinum Brides and even Kodo's Dad will sit down and watch Bridezilla with me. I am dragging my sister around to bridal shops and I send her on internet searches for wedding stuff. I really think I need to take a breathe and let the planning work itself out at a normal pace. That would be the smart thing to do, but let's face it, that's just not who I am.

Engagement is not a time to cherish, it is a time to start planning and break out in zits, and strange rashes that your doctor doesn't even know what it is. It is a time to call your friends for every favor you can think of and begin searching for least expensive way to have the BEST photographer for your wedding. It is a time when you begin dreaming about how you will look 20lbs thinner in a wedding dress, but are too pre-occupied with the thought of it to actually do something about it.

When I woke up this morning, I thought to myself, today's the day I won't logon to weddingbee.com, or google my favorite wedding dress designer, or check for more pictures taken at Rancho Las Lomas. That lasted about ten minutes ya'll.


Luckily, I discovered that Ferndales Bridal Shop is having a clearance sale this week. How can I not go?!


Do you all see my dilemma now? Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well, thanks to my last employer who decided to be very irresponsible and file ch 11, and then lay me off (Im not bitter at all haha) I have nothing but time on my hands lady!!
If you need me to meet you at your place one day after you gt off of work so we can go shopping for stuff, just call or text, I can take the bus down there. It will get me out of the apartment!!! Im going insane. BTW, Oprah is going to be goood today! Its about why men cheat.

Unknown said...

OH AND ONE MORE THING!
My hair is getting flipping long!! I can't believe I survived this summer without cutting it off! And I have a whole year till I can chop it off! Although, I shouldn't be complaining, bc the last time I went to happy hour with the girls, some old man kept hitting on me bc he "Loved" my hair. I got us all free drinks for the night! haha